WHAT'S MY APPROACH TO PRIVACY?
I take your privacy extremely seriously and want you to feel confident that your personal information is safe in my hands.
I will only use your personal information in accordance with the data protection law applicable to England and Wales from time to time.
Under data protection law, when I use your personal information, I will be acting as a data controller. Essentially, this means that I will be making decisions about how to use your personal information and why.
Below, I summarise the main rules that apply to me as a data controller under data protection law when I use your personal information:
1. I must be upfront about how I intend to use your personal information and must use your personal information fairly. Providing privacy information to individuals (such as in this privacy notice) is one aspect of using personal information fairly.
2. I must only use your personal information if I have a legal basis to do so under data protection law. These legal bases include:
• That you have consented to my use of your personal information;
• That my use of your personal information is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in me. This is generally because the processing of your personal data by me will be in performance of casework activities which by their nature supports or promotes democratic engagement.
3. I must only use certain types of sensitive personal information, also referred to as special category personal information (such as information relating to your health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, or criminal convictions) if I can also satisfy one of the conditions for processing this type of information set out in data protection law. These conditions include:
• That you have given me your explicit consent to use the information; and
• That the processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.
4. I am only permitted to share your personal information with others in certain circumstances and if I take steps to ensure that your personal information will be secure.
5. Generally speaking, I must only use your personal information for the specific purposes I have told you about. If I want to use your personal information for other purposes, I need to contact you again to tell you about this.
6. I must not hold more personal information than I need for the purposes I have told you about and must not retain your personal information for longer than is necessary for those purposes (this is known as the "retention period"). I must also dispose of any information that I no longer need securely.
7. I must ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to protect your personal information.
8. I must act in accordance with your rights under data protection law.
9. I must not transfer your personal information outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") unless certain safeguards are in place. One such safeguard is that the personal data is only transferred to a country that has been approved by the European Commission as having an acceptable level of data protection law.
How will I use your personal information?
How I will use your personal information, the legal bases I will rely upon, how long I will keep your personal information and other details are set out below.
What personal information I will use
• Your name;
• Your address;
• Your contact details (email address, telephone number etc.);
• Information provided about you when raising an issue or a concern with me. This information may include special category personal information such as your:
• racial or ethnic origins
• political opinions
• religious or philosophical beliefs
• membership of a trade union
• physical or mental health (including details of any disability)
• sexual orientation
• details of any known disability
• commission or alleged commission of any offence
How I will obtain the personal information
• Provided by you when you contact me with an enquiry or concern or by a third party where the enquiry or concern is raised on your behalf.
What purposes I will use the personal information for
• I will use your name, address and other contact details to communicate with you about the issue or concern raised and to provide you with updates and feedback;
• I will use your personal information to progress your issue or concern and to take steps to address the matter.
The legal bases for processing I rely upon
• My use of your personal information in connection with the purposes set out above is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in me. This is generally because the processing of your personal data by me will be in performance of casework activities which by their nature support or promote democratic engagement;
• Where your issue or concern is one which involves the processing of special category data, my use of your special category personal data will be necessary for reasons of substantial public interest. This is because the processing is carried out by me in my capacity as an elected representative, in connection with the discharge of my functions and is in response to a request by you to take action or a request on your behalf.